Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue
close-up of hand drawing on a map

Important Tips for Travel

Did you know that all University international business travel must be registered by the traveler on the Center for International Education (CIE) website regardless of whether or not the university pays for the trip? It’s an often missed step in compliance on campus. If your travel is to a designated sensitive country, the Export Control Office must review the travel prior to its approval.

Beyond appropriately registering travel, there are a number of basic steps that you can take to ensure that your travel arrangements are compliant with regulations and university controls. Here are some tips and facts you should take into consideration when planning your travel:

  • If you are involved with an export controlled research project, do NOT take related materials or information with you outside of the United States, unless you are certain that those materials are allowed within export control regulations.
  • Basic electronic devices, such as laptops and cell phones, are not restricted for travel to most countries. For those where they may be restricted, the TMP Export License Exception may cover their use and transport along with other “tools of the trade”. The TMP exception allows for temporary export without a license. Specific conditions apply which you should be aware of in advance.
  • Travel to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria requires an OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) license. Such a license, issued by the OFAC, serves as an authorization to engage in a transaction that would otherwise be prohibited, for instance, travel with materials to an embargoed or sanctioned nation. Recent changes to the Cuba sanctions policy may allow a general license to cover travel, but the other embargoed countries will require a specific license. Information is available on the OFAC website.
  • Some foreign institutions may be listed on the export control agencies’ “proscribed parties” lists, with even more restrictive conditions than the particular country within which they are located. When in doubt, list the institutions you will have contact with on the travel application, and the Export Control Office will perform a Restricted Party Screening and advise you of any issues. You can view a general Consolidated Screening List (CSL) of parties for which the United States Government maintains restrictions on certain exports, re-exports or transfers of items, consisting of the consolidation of multiple export screening lists of the Departments of Commerce, State and the Treasury