Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue
Map with pins to mark locations

Traveling Abroad

Do not travel to conduct research or educational activities to embargoed countries without first checking with the Office of Research and Engagement to secure a license from the Department of Treasury, Office of Foreign Assets Control. A request to travel in embargoed countries is sometimes granted for educational purposes.

Please reference OFAC’s Sanctions Programs & Country Info for the most current list.

What Can You Take with You Overseas?

Under the license exception for temporary export (TMP) you can take usual and reasonable kinds and quantities of tools of trade (commodities and software) for use by you or your employees in a lawful enterprise. The tools of trade must remain under your effective control or your employee’s (you or your employee must retain physical possession of the item, lock it in a hotel safe, or have it guarded). Encryption commodities and software may be pre-loaded on a laptop, handheld device or other computer or equipment.

All tools of trade may accompany you departing from the U.S. or may be shipped unaccompanied within one month before your departure from the U.S., or at any time after departure. All commodities and software must, if not consumed or destroyed in the normal course of authorized temporary use abroad, be returned as soon as practicable, but no later than one year after the date of export. No tools of trade may be taken to embargoed countries.

Please contact Jane Burns ( or Chris Godfrey ( for any questions or concerns related to what you can take when you travel. If you are taking any technology with you (i.e. laptops) please contact UTK OIT to discuss protections for that device and/ or opportunities to obtain alternative safeguarded devices.

Other Considerations

In addition to Export Control concerns, there are also matters of security and safety when travelling to sensitive countries.

Registration for international travel is now required — see the University of Tennessee Center for Global Engagement for more information.

In addition, UT has contracted with International SOS, an emergency assistance service. Visit their site for more information, including a mobile app.

The Department of State Travel Alerts and Warnings page has updated and useful country-specific information, including extreme risk countries and regions.